Sunday 24 January 2010

Friday Night

I arrived at the club on Friday night at 10pm [an hour before the upstairs dancefloor was set to open] and started preparing for my first ever club night! My heart was racing! I put out a bunch of swag for people to take at their will - Badges, stickers, sugary sweets! And began turning on all the kit; the lights, my laptop, smoke machine, the amps & mixing desk. And as soon as I was up there my nerves were replaced with an overwhelming excitement. Until I tried playing a song. The sound was terrible; the bass was completely swallowing up the songs, the graphic eq had to be changed to levels that I KNEW were too extreme to be normal. I began panicking, and ran downstairs to find my boss and get him to have a look at it.

He couldn't determine the problem and said that it must have been down to my laptop. I insisted that it couldn't be, as I'd set it up exactly the same way as I always had done. After about 20minutes of floorshaking rock songs, I discovered (with the assistance of my boss & the downstairs DJ) that in my nervous haste I had plugged the RCA cable into the Phono input, which apparently is designed to deal with vinyl players, and thus pumps up the bass. So, after a nifty switch of cables, the sound was back to normal and the night began!

Throughout all this fuss my hopes of the night had somewhat diminished. I know it sounds unreasonable, but sometimes if you've been planning something for so long, and the first moments don't quite go to plan, you feel resigned to feeling that the rest of the night will follow in much the same vain! However, it didn't. The first hour was pretty quiet, but, you go to any nightclub on a Friday in January and it'll always be quiet for the first hour or so.

People started creeping in, and standing around, drinks in hand, mouthing to the words of whatever song was playing, and then, when it was busy enough I threw on a bunch of songs to get people moving about! And hell did they do that! From 12am to 3am people were up and about dancing around, screeching along to the songs and throwing themselves into one another! It turned out to be a really great night! Admittedly it wasn't crazily busy, but it's really not the time of year to attract hundreds of people! I haven't actually seen my boss since Friday, to talk about it, but I'll go into work next week and see what he thought! All I know is that to me, it felt like a great night, and almost everyone stayed until the end!

I just hope that the next month will go even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment