Monday 1 February 2010

Procrastination ftw

I sit here nursing a pretty severe hangover, shying away from the ever-increasing pile of work that I should really be getting on with. Yesterday our lovely bosses took all of the staff out for a meal and drinks. It was a really great night out, although Jen is still stuck in bed, occasionally yelling 'I want to die!' which says a lot for how she's coping.




I've been utilising various forms of procrastination over the last week. I've felt sick, had to work at the nightclub, written a few articles for the student paper, and of course, played the Battlefield BC2 demo on XBL.

The first time I played the demo, I was completely unsure as to what my objectives were, and I drifted to the ground, found my feet, figured out a few of the controls, and set off down the snowy slopes of Alaska. However, my brain-matter was the only thing that made it to the bottom. Quickly changing tactics after a respawn, I suited up as a sniper and hid behind a couple of rocks, peeking out every now and again to get a few kills. And the rest, they say, is history. Every time I turn on my console, I just have to play a half hour of that demo. The map is jaw-dropping. The sheer scale of it is perfect. Not too big for 20 or so players, but not too small either, and I love the way that you're rewarded with more of the map when the objectives are completed.

It's the only recent warfare game that has a feeling of 'war' to it. My limited experience with games like MW2 is that there will always be tactically driven gamers, who will capitalise on the game's flaws. So far, I've not seen one person acting like this, although I expect that it will just be a matter of time!

I also played a bit of AC2 yesterday. Although many may think otherwise, I feel that there is still too much of a focus on collection missions. Being a bit of an impatient gamer, I flew threw the game doing the odd side mission here and there, but concentrating mainly on pushing the storyline along. Playing the game yesterday made me realise just how much stuff I've missed out on. I have got something like 15 feathers, and I only had 1 of Subject 16's memory-things. I hadn't really made much use of the weapon upgrades or anything either. So, yesterday I found another 6 memories and a few more feathers, but had to stop before I began thinking I was playing the original.

The new paper comes out on Friday. I've submitted a motion-controller-rant, a Mass Effect history and a summary of things to come in 2010. My motion-controller-rant did turn into a bit of a Wii bashing, purely because I want to instigate some sort of feedback, I don't care if it's bad! Having written for the paper for the last five months, I have only receieved one email which said: "I like you're article."

Anyhow, we have possible future tenants looking around our flat today, so I better get on with tidying up...and possibly some Uni work later.

Oh, and Forza 3 is on it's way after finding a delicious £20 note on the floor on the street 2 nights ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment