Monday 21 December 2009

I Blame IGN.com For My Lack Of Work

So this last week has been incredibly busy for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone, what with the obvious christmas craziness that inevitably swamps most people at this time of year. I returned back home [from University] to spend a couple of weeks with my family, and although normally it's a fairly normal-paced christmas atmosphere, this year it's felt like everyone is in overdrive!

I normally come back from Uni and take a few days to cool off. This was especially needed after the intense workathon that my last week of the Autumn term provided. I had 5 days during which, 2 assignments were due, 2 presentations needed to be shown and also I had to send off part of my dissertation to my tutor, so she could look at it over her holiday. Instead of my usual cooldown time, I have been thrown into a frenzy of helping out with christmas decorating and cleaning and all sorts of stuff that I'm completely useless at! It's not that I'm complaining about having to do all this work, indeed whenever I come back home, I work for my dad on the farm so I can get a bit more cash to help me comfortably get through the next term at Uni. My complaints lie more with the IGN Top 25 Xbox 360 Games list.

I flicked through the list a few weeks ago, and wasn't really expecting to be wowed, or surprised by any games. I had expected that the top game was likely to be Modern Warfare 2. And much to my relief, it wasn't!

Mass Effect was. A game I had barely heard of. Now, bear in mind that I've only had my 360 for about a year. All the games I own have tended to be slightly more recent releases. In fact, the oldest game I own is probably Dead Rising, and I soon rendered that unplayable due to the infuriating lack of savepoints.

So, IGN thought that Mass Effect was superior to all those other big AAA titles. I went out, bought a preowned copy, and my life has been consumed. I think in the first day of getting that game, I managed to dedicate about 5 hours of my day to it. The world is so enticing. I'm not really much of a RPG fan, and was sceptical about playing a sci-fi space game, but I am now so glad that I picked it up.

But damn, I need to start working for Dad at some point this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment